Saturday, November 29, 2014

So I have been working for some time on my December album prep: giving my Craft Robo a workout designing and cutting things in Silhouette Studio software; designing and printing my own word strips, and designing some of my very own PL cards. I also am a planner at heart and drew out grids and designs for over half of the months pages so that I can be sure my SNAP album front and back layout styles will work :). So yeah, I'm a ::bit:: OCD. ;) 
I'm SO EXCITED that I recently was able to finally assemble my pages for days 1 and 2, and now that so much prep work is done, I'm hoping the rest of the days go a LOT more quickly! Otherwise I might be assembling my December 2014 album still in December of 2015! ack!

So I thought I'd put a little post together about the pages I created to give credit where credit is due for products I've used and to of course give out a little freebie to those reading along!

This year is quite a year for me since it's my first year living at home with my parents again. I have a one year old and a two and a half year old (both boys), so I'm excited to share in the holiday spirit with all of them this year. For so many reasons, the magic is really back this year.

DAY 1: Nativity

My first page in my December album is devoted of course to the nativity. After all, without this Gift to the world, there wouldn't be a Christmas to celebrate. Since I was a little girl, nativities have been very special treasures. I had my own nativity in my room that was made of wood. I would move the pieces each day - bringing Mary along riding the donkey closer to Jerusalem with Joseph leading the way - and bringing the shepherds in with their sheep until baby Jesus arrived on Christmas day. My great grandmother's hand made porcelain nativity was passed down to me.

This year, at my mom's house, I get to enjoy the several nativities my mom has collected over the years including my favorite: an olive wood set made by a family in Jerusalem who came to our church seeking financial assistance. The set just glows under the twinkle lights. I can't wait to unpack it and photograph it this year in this first December page.

Here's the spread I came up with to help me capture Day 1.



The pink card on the left flips out - held on with red herringbone washi tape (I designed this card - download the freebie here). The green 'Joy' card is an inserted page I cut with my Craft Robo and a wood veneer snowflake I bought from JoAnn's (however, if you want to make a similar page, see my previous blog post about how to create your own snowflake die cut (with freebie cut file)).

This card was inspired by the song 'All about the Bass' by Meghan Trainor (watch the video here if you don't know the song). I came up with these spoof lyrics and designed this card in Photoshop. The card is designed in 2x8 format to fit into the 2x8 slot in SNAP albums divided page protectors (ones that look like this). If you want to download this card, try the freebie link above (or copy and paste this address into your browser: https://www.dropbox.com/s/44hcw1leopsf8el/gods_grace_2x8.jpg?dl=0



The Photo above shows what the page looks like once I flip out the pink card on the left. The layout on the left includes "the reason for the season" that I designed and cut out on my Craft Robo. I designed and cut the cream star and then outlined it in gold paint pen. I bought the 'Peace' wood veneer at Michael's (it's by Recollections) and designed and printed the word strips. The red chevron ribbon is jute and is by "Celebrate It Aria". The number 1 is a Tim Holtz game piece - mine came in black and only had 40 numbers; I painted it red. The nativity is from Jolee's Boutique Nativity Scene



The back of the JOY insert will hold a photo, matted on this red paper. I didn't fully stick down my word strips in the top left corner yet so that I can paste my photo in here when I'm ready.  I used paper from the Basic Grey Nordic Holiday line to make this insert (the green background paper on JOY has a rainbow dot and scallop motif on cream background on the reverse). I used more of my own word strips and a wiseman from Jolee's Nativity Scene referenced above.

Here's what the right side of my Day 1 page looks like: 
 

The bottom left card was a blank journal card I had on hand from another PL kit. I added herringbone "Recollections Crafting Tape" (a.k.a. washi tape) to the top, some more of Jolee's Nativity Scene dimensional stickers, and some of my words trips to the bottom of this card.


The top right card ("Wise Men still seek Him") is a card I designed myself for this spot and is currently available on my Fan Freebie page on Facebook. I added another dimensional sticker star and wiseman from Jolee's Nativity on top, along with a red label sticker from Recollections, and another of my own word strips. 


Finally, on the top left photo, I placed this set of embellishments on top of the plastic pocket so I can slip in my photo later: a red velvet tab I designed and cut, one of my word strips, and an angel from the Jolee's Nativity dimensional stickers. 


DAY 2: Decorations

 My second page will be all about the decorations we are putting up at my mom's house this year to make the holidays special and "homey". I'm definitely ready to "deck the halls" - but what a JOB! Especially with two toddlers running around. :) But the joy on their little faces when they see the decorations: definitely. worth. it. Here's what the two page spread I came up with looks like:


I customized a spare Journal Card from an old PL kit with my own word strips, a cream and gold tag from "Craft Smith", and rub on gifts that I stacked up from Basic Grey's Nordic Holiday line.  The 'Home for the Holidays' word strip is above the plastic. So are the word strips on the photo pockets on the left.


For the upper right 3x4 card, I started with a base card from a PL kit I recently got at Michaels for 1/2 off., I put on a poinsettia rub on from the Basic Grey Nordic Holiday collection and a "deck the halls" rub on I had in my stash (I'll have to go look up who this one is by). I added some gold ribbon, a green paper flag, some buttons and a fabric brad from the Basic Grey Nordic Holiday collection and a bit of rhinestone holly bling (I'll have to go look up who these are by too).  


My page on the left used the following background papers: 2x2 red solid, striped, and words squares I cut from the Basic Grey Nordic Holiday collection, a kraft 2x2 square I cut out of cardboard, a gold foil square I cut out of a Recollections paper I purchased, and a green 2x2 gnome and christmas tree card stock that I doodled a 'home' frame on top of.  I used a Recollections Gift It Christmas Kraft paper bow, word strips I created, a Recollections white doily, a gold foil and red velvet layered number 2 flag that I designed and cut in my silhouette, a wreath I cut out of this amazing paper from Paper Source with rhinestone bling, lace leaf stickers, a gold paperclip, and a Recollections - Christmas - Wooden Button (with red stripes). I also dismantled a clothes pin with a fabric christmas tree I found at Michael's to use this tree with a cut out 'JOY' I created. The bottom middle row pocket uses red merry christmas washi from Recollections and gold curly ribbon I had in my gift wrap. It also uses a tag from the Basic Grey Nordic Holiday collection which I added my own word strip to. 


I think that's everything for Day 1 and 2. Can't wait to share more! Let me know if you have any questions about the layout.

How did you scrap about your holiday decorations this year? What else do you want me to share in freebies? ;) 

1 comments:

  1. I saw your post on Facebook and I'm so glad you had a link to your page! I just love, love what you have done.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete