Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Over the last few weeks, I've been working on designing February Planner Pages with Just Jaimee to help you record your memories and stories quickly and easily in your day planner, and then at the end of the week, clip your photos into a prepared "quick page" template to print out and place right into your daily planner right with your notes and details of your daily life. If you missed my first post about why I switched to this format, catch up on it here. Today I'm telling you all about how I've tried these inserts in planner styles I have at home (or in my local Michael's), and am even providing a FREEBIE at the end of the post that includes calendar layers to pull into your templates and print on top of the background for your planner size and style.

This month, we decided to expand the templates to support other popular planner sizes and styles. These templates have been specifically customized to fit planners that have inserts that measure:

  • 5.83" x 8.27" (Such as Day Runner)
  • 6.75" x 8.5" (Such as Simple Stories)
  • 7"x9" (such as Erin Condren)
  • 8.1" x 9.3" (such as filofax’s european A5 size)
  • 8.1" x 9.6" (such as kikki K Personal planners)
  • 5.3" x 7.4" (such as filofax personal planners)
  • 5.7" x 7.4" (such as kikki K medium)
In follow on blog posts, I'll provide detailed instructions on 1) How to use the templates you've downloaded 2) How to easily print planner pages, perfectly aligned and double-sided on your home computer. 3) How to cut out your planner pages (and more importantly, divider tabs) on your Silhouette and 4) How to resize the planner page backgrounds to fit your planner not currently in the "supported planners" set. If you have additional topics you'd like to see discussed in future posts, let me know! I'd LOVE to help you get to know your planner templates and make them work for you!

In the meantime, I wanted to show you a few ways that I used the planner pages this month. I wanted to actually try them out in various planner styles and sizes so that I could see how they looked and fit into the planners "in real life" so that I could improve them for future months. 

I used my K&Company SMASH Binder, my Simple Stories SNAP album, my Day Runner Planner, and my Project Life album as "test subjects". Here's what I came up with: 

Here's a quick view of all the planners I have with my planner pages printed and inserted to give you an overview of what I created. The top left in my Simple Stories SNAP album. The top right is my Day Runner planner. The bottom left is my K&Company SMASH binder, and the bottom right is my Project Life album.


Below is a view of side-by-side pages in my K&Company SMASH binder. I printed out the pages with the "kikki K Personal Size" background and the pages are a little smaller than the 8.5x11 size that this type of binder can support, but I like the way that a slightly smaller page looks in these binders, so that is what I chose to do. You could modify the background a bit to be exactly 8.5x11 if you preferred. Also shown in this page: on the right hand side, I customized the background a bit to add a light green chevron paper instead of the black polkadots on the "weekly stories" page so that I could write in this section as well. A swap out of this part of the background is super simple, and I'll cover how to do it in a follow up blog post. 




Below is a spread showing my daily recording pages. They are printed front and back of each page so that I can record notes for each day of February (notice that I flipped the background on the "reverse" side of the page so that the typewriter paper is in the middle at the rings). Again, I'll cover how to do this back-and-front printing in another post. You'll notice that Project Life albums were not a listed supported format for this month's templates (that's because my actual PL album didn't arrive in time to modify the templates! they'll be supported next month), but THIS month, I simply printed off the pages in the "day runner" size and left extra white space on the edges when I cut the pages down and rounded the corners to fit in my album. You could also use the "simple stories" background size and modify it a bit to fit the slightly differently sized PL album inserts. 


Here's a preview of what the "February" tab looks like printed out and placed in my Day Runner. Love this photo so much. :) And this February, I'm really trying to focus on slowing down and remembering that love is in the little moments... so that's what this quote is all about to me.


Below is a view of what my weekly back-and-front pages look like in my Day Runner Album. I record my stories this way during the week, then at the end of the week (or end of 2 weeks actually), I can slip in my photo pages in, also printed front-and-back and I'm not "wasting" paper!  


In my opinion, the BEST part about the changes to the planner sizes and styles this month was that the modified aspect ratio allowed me to plan the inserts so that if you print the pages with ALL the background layers turned off, you can cut out the cards and put them right into your plastic sleeves to fit into either your Simple Stories SNAP albums or your Project Life 6x8 albums. Here's a view of my SNAP album with a photo page and my daily stories page slipped right into the sleeves. The cool part about this is that if you had a to-do list (and if you're anything like me, you didn't complete everything on it on a certain day), you can move the card right onto your next page! Easy-peasy! 


Below is a view of the SNAP album inserts with the backgrounds on and a weekly recording of photos and matching stories. 


Phew! Well, that's a huge overview of some of the new styles that we're supporting this month. Hop on over to the Lilypad and take a look! Let me know if you have questions!

OH RIGHT! The freebie I promised?!? You still remember that, right? OK, one thing that we didn't include in the planner this month was a full February calendar overview, so I designed a clean-and-simple in coordinating color scheme as a freebie. Each weekday is designed as a 2x2 card (weekends share a 2x2 card).  Go download it here.

NOTE: This file is meant to be dragged into your "Ready To Go - A5 February 2015 Quinn W6-9 Planner Templates" so that you can put it right on top of the background that is sized for your planner.  However, the great news is you can print this freebie without the background (make sure the layers that you want to print are visible and the others hidden - more details in a follow-up blog post) and insert them right into your SNAP album insta-pocket pages with 12 2x2 card inserts. 

I hope you enjoy recording your memories in these planner templates as much as I do and I hope that the new sizes and styles make the templates more accessible to you. If you have any questions or feedback on how we can improve the templates, shoot me a line on Facebook or enter a comment below. I'm always looking for ways to improve! No question is too silly and you're not going to hurt my feelings asking for something to be changed ;) Every day I'm hustling. 

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog and especially this and the prior post about the planner pages you've created. Will be following you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another set of amazing templates Amy - I am using your designs for my planner however adapting the templates with some of my other JJ kits to create a none weekly based planner but a general planner of stuff i love - lyrics, pictures, friends n loved ones etc - A million thanks for doing all the hard work - digi scrapping hasn't been this fun in ages (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look awesome - and I love that photo you chose for the February tab (plus the quote, perfect)!

    ReplyDelete